The institution

The origin of the Archaeological Museum of Asturias is located in the Museum of Antiquities of the  Comisi贸n Provincial de Monumentos Historicos y Artisticos de Asturias , (Provincial Commission for Historical and Artistic Monuments of Asturias) created between 1844 and 1846 as the first stable institution responsible for the protection of the cultural heritage of Asturias, in accordance with Royal Decree of 1844.

The Comisi贸n carried out its work tirelessly throughout the nineteenth century gathering architectural remains of the main monasteries Asturian, and collecting pieces of fruit, gifts incidental findings of scholars and collectors.

Old show room

With great effort, the Comisi贸n was able to open to the public its Museum of Antiquities to the 1870s in a chapel of the church of the former convent of San Francisco. A few years later, in 1889, because this site was for the construction of the headquarters building of the  Diputaci贸n de Oviedo, today the building of the Junta General del Principado, the Museum was transferred to a local Escuelas Normales , street Uria, where local teachers were formed at the time. From this time the figure of Ciriaco Miguel Vigil, who made the first inventory of the collection pieces

The deplorable situation of the facility led to the transfer of the collection to the house of Mr. Pajares in the current  Corrada del Obispo, where it was stored until the installation of the permanent seat in the Claustro de San Vicente, which opened in 1952.